Advanced Apprenticeship in Veterinary Nursing
- September 2020
Choose a career caring for and supporting animals, choose an Advanced Apprenticeship in Veterinary Nursing. You will earn a salary whilst gaining key clinical skills and hands-on experience. Veterinary nurses play a key role in veterinary practices by providing expert supportive care and treatment for sick animals and by assisting owners to maintain the health of their pets. During your course your clinical skills will be assessed and you will have to successfully complete theory exams, a work based progress log, college assignments and a final exam.
It is suitable for Veterinary Nurse Assistants or those seeking a career as a veterinary nurse
The apprenticeship framework is made up of different nationally recognised qualifications.
- Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing (Small Animal Pathway)
- Level 2 Functional Skills in English and Math’s
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
- Understanding the operational requirements of a veterinary practice
- Professional relationships and communication
- Applied animal welfare, health and husbandry
- Infection control
- Nursing the hospitalised patient
- Supporting the supply of veterinary medicines
- Diagnostic imaging
- Laboratory diagnostics
- Theatre practice
- Pre and post-operative support
- Medical and surgical nursing
- Anatomy and physiology
This Apprenticeship is delivered in a day release model with weekly attendance.
5 GCSE's including English, Math’s and Science A-C/9-4. Employed for minimum of 30 hours a week with a contract of employment and be enrolled as a student with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
Apprentices successfully completing the Advanced Apprenticeship have opportunities to progress within the industry by continuing onto a Foundation Degree in Animal Science and Welfare or other Higher Education courses with a veterinary/science focus.