Further Education Awards
2nd November 2023
Easton College, City College Norwich and Paston College have celebrated the achievements of 27 outstanding students at our annual Further Education (FE) Awards.
The select group of award winners were chosen from more than 5,500 students who studied on FE courses with the colleges last year.
The awards cover the full range of FE courses offered across our colleges - from entry level qualifications, through to GCSEs, A Levels, T Levels, BTECs, UAL awards and Access to Higher Education courses.
The awards ceremony was held in the Green Room at Easton College.
Among the award winners was Lewis Cram, who was named Student of the Year for Sport and Public Services. Lewis completed our Level 3 Uniformed Services course and has now joined Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service as an apprentice Critical Equipment Technician. Lewis said:
I've always had an interest in the fire and rescue service. You get to focus specifically on things that you want to do. Most of my assignments were on the fire and rescue service, which helped a lot in understanding not just what they do as an emergency service but behind the scenes as well, how they run politically and financially and so on.
Choosing the Public Services course was the most beneficial qualification and experience. It was really good. The life experience we got was amazing.”
The award for Student of the Year for Land-Based Industries sponsored by Agricultural Industries Confederation (AIC) was presented to Lauren Matthews. Lauren completed the Level 3 Diploma in Agriculture and is now looking forward to a future in dairy farming.
During her 2nd year, Lauren produced two outstanding projects. Agriculture lecturer Carl Florence says, "They were among the strongest I have seen over the last 4 years teaching the modules."
Lauren found that there were plenty of opportunity at Easton College to hone her practical skills and focus on her areas of interest:
I enjoyed it. I got to do lots out on the farm, lots of practical work. I was able to do the modules that I was interested in.”
She is planning to go to university next year to do a degree in animal science, and potentially then on to a master's degree in animal nutrition.
Congratulations to all our 2023 FE Award Winners:
- Student of the Year for Access to Higher Education - Niamh McAllister
- Student of the Year for Education and Training - Scott Mynett
- Student of the Year for Inclusive Learning (City College Norwich) - Matthew Hayden
- Student of the Year for Inclusive Learning (Easton College) - Freya Maggs
- Student of the Year for Inclusive Learning (Paston College) - Elsie Hole-Jones
- Student of the Year for Aspire - Florrie Scarfe
- Student of the Year for Pre-Employment Training (MINT) - Adam Hatson
- Student of the Year for English - Asia Wynne
- Student of the Year for Maths - Kieran Marshall
- Student of the Year for English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) - Sasha Ploskin
- Student of the Year for Adult Essential Skills - Naomi Day
- Student of the Year for Academic Progression (GCSE's) - 2 Winners - Leen Alhamoy & Ana Sipitca
- Student of the Year for Construction - Rebecca Nakimera
- Student of the Year for Creative, Production and Performing Arts - Jack Bernardin
- Student of the Year for Media, Business and Digital Industries - Owen Ettridge
- Student of the Year for Engineering - Alfie Brooker
- Student of the Year for Animal and Equine - Abby Seaman
- Student of the Year for Land-Based Industries sponsored by Agricultural Industries Confederation (AIC) - Lauren Matthews
- Student of the Year for Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy - Lily-Mai Galasky
- Student of the Year for Hospitality and Catering - Bobby Vetere
- Student of the Year for Health and Social Care and Childcare - Keira May
- Student of the Year for Sport and Public Services - Lewis Cram
- Student of the Year for A Levels (City College Norwich) - Scarlett Alborough
- Student of the Year for A Levels (Paston College) - Gabriella Gordon
- The James Barr Memorial Award - Chisom Okorie
- The Governors' Robert Walton Award for Outstanding Contribution to College Life - Layla Ali
- The Governors' Award for Outstanding Student Achievement - Gabriella Gordon